Wednesday, July 29, 2009
1 cup finely chopped strawberries
1/4 cup finely chopped avocado
2 tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp grated lime zest
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp finely chopped, seeded jalapeno
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, toss gently. Serve immediately. Yum!
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
- This recipe should be called Basil Risotto. If you're a basil lover make the risotto as is. If you like the basil as more of a background flavor I would decrease the basil in the recipe. The risotto was very good but very basil-y.
- The zucchini pretty much disintegrated in the risotto so we were left with the end/skin pieces of the zucchini so I'd recommend undercooking your zucchini before you add rice.
- We followed the amounts of the recipe and I can honestly say I have no idea where they got that it serves 4. Five of us ate this meal and we ate about 1/2 of the amount that was made. And we ate it as a main course not a side dish. Hopefully that means the calories were even less too. :)
- I didn't like the peas in mine but Michelle did. I think this was a great "basic healthy risotto" recipe that you can really use whatever vegetables/herbs are your favorite in. I'd definitely make it again.
Monday, July 27, 2009
(picture shown is not of my actual salsa since it got eaten up before I decided to post this)
As you may remember I typically make up a recipe from my own head based on what I think will taste good. Therefore this recipe is for you to put ratios that will work best for you and your family, I'll try to approximate the amounts I used but do what tastes best to you! I served this on top of teriyaki glazed salmon.
- Fresh pineapple cut into small chunks (1/4 of a whole pineapple)
- Tomato cut into small chunks (1 - 1 1/2 tomatoes, I used garden fresh - yum!)
- Red onion diced small (1/4 med onion)
- Tomatillo diced small (2 small tomatillos)
- Jicama shredded (~1/4 cup)
- Cilantro chopped (handful?)
- Juice squeezed from a lime (I had a super juicy & large lime so I only used 1/2 lime)
- Sprinkle of salt (I prefer kosher salt or salt grinder)
Mix together & refrigerate for flavors to mix.
I didn't put jalapeno in my salsa because my mom hates anything spicy but I would definitely add it for those of you who are okay with jalapeno. I thought it was good without but think it would be great with it also! I also wanted to try avocado chunks in it but they did not have one single ripe avocado at the grocery store so maybe next round.