Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas - By Cheryl Parham

Last night, I put together green chili chicken enchiladas that came out really good and were so easy. Then, today I had leftover chicken so I made red chili chicken enchiladas and they were also so yummy!!! Enchiladas are really easy, but if you are like me I never really make them even though I love them. Anyway give these a try sometime!!!

First, best trick ever for super easy great recipes is buying a rotisserie chicken. It is cooked and has that great rotisserie taste and you woud be amazed at all the recipes you can do with that chicken!!

What you need:
1 rotisserie chicken- shredded
chopped onion (fresh or frozen)
2-3 cups Pepper jack cheese or another mexican cheese I am sure would be good too!
1/2 - 1 cup sour cream
corn tortillas
1 can or more of green enchilada sauce- Your preference. I used the Albertson's brand, but I have used Old El Paso too.
1 can diced green chile

**I eyed the measurements to fit my taste and only made six so do what works for you!!

Preheat oven to 350F
Spray a casserole pan w/ non-stick spray- mine is fairly small since I only made 6
Set casserole pan aside
Shred/cut up rotisserie chicken- need about 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups in a medium bowl
Add to the bowl of chicken- diced onions about 1/3 cup, 1/2 cup sour cream, diced green chiles(I used canned) and 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese.
Mix together and set aside.
In your sprayed casserole pan pour 1/2 of the green chili enchilada sauce to the bottom of the pan.
Take all the torillas you are going to use. Put on a plate then cover with another plate turned upside down. Microwave for about 30-40 seconds depending on how many.
Now take each tortilla dip into casserole pan, put the filling in it, roll it and repeat with all the tortillas and filling til finished.
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of the enchiladas.
Spread shredded pepper jack cheese on top and bake in oven for 15 min. longer if more than 6.

* I like red sauce with ground beef, but the chicken was really good with the red sauce. The only thing I didn't use with the red was the diced green chilis.
Also, I am sure you can use ground beef, crab meat, shrimp, pork, ground turkey. Whatever

3 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds great Cheryl!

Just a side note since we're on the Healthy Bite :) - obviously some ways to keep it lower in fat is use white meat, a light sour cream, and watch the amount of cheese you use. If you're not worried about fat make the normal recipe and just watch your portion size!

Patty Ann said...

I use whole wheat tortillas when I make these too if you want switch it up.

Heather said...

Great idea! Yum!