Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Red Beans & Rice


I grew up with a family recipe that we called sausage rice casserole. It's even in the extended family cookbook. I believe it's probably officially a Lipton soup recipe. (I'll include the original recipe below) I was craving the flavor of this dish (it's on my list of comfort foods) but didn't want to use sausage. I'm not a huge sausage fan plus I wanted a healthier option so I thought of substituting beans for the sausage. I thought about what beans I wanted to use and decided on red beans...which led me to think that I should add some Cajun seasoning as well and make a type of red beans & rice. I know this isn't a traditional red beans & rice but what else should I name it...."Heather's non-sausage rice casserole"...?? This is a very easy recipe to make and very budget friendly too! Sorry vegetarian friends, Lipton Noodle Soup is made with chicken broth so this isn't vegetarian friendly.

Red Beans & Rice [or Heather's Non-Sausage Rice Casserole] :)

1 package Lipton Noodle Soup
1-2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning (to taste for desired spiciness)
2 1/4 cup hot water
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 cup celery, diced small
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
1/2 can red beans, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix Lipton Noodle Soup, Cajun seasoning, and hot water together in 13x9 casserole dish. Add rice, onion, celery and stir to disperse evenly. Sprinkle in beans. Bake for ~1 hour or until rice is cook (watch because sometimes it will be done earlier)

*****

Original Recipe: Sausage Rice Casserole

1 pound sausage, browned
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 package Lipton Noodle Soup
1 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup onion
2 cups hot water

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until rice is cooked

*****

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now"
-Zig Ziglar

1 comment:

Four Hearts Haven said...

I just wanted you to know that I too make this dish once in a while. I haven't tried altering it though. Good suggestion.

We Miss you!