Sunday, February 24, 2013

Vegetable Tian

I tried another recipe I got from Pinterest that I've been meaning to try...Vegetable Tian.  The original recipe (and much prettier pictures) can be found here.  I chose to replace the russett potatoes with sweet potato and just used zucchini because that's the squash I had at home.  I really liked the flavor of the dish but I think I could have just sauteed/baked the ingredients and the taste would have been the same.  So I probably won't repeat this exact recipe in the future but it was worth the try.



Vegetable Tian

  • 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
  • 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium sweet potato, unpeeled, sliced (I microwaved my potato slices for a couple minutes to soften them to be sure they cooked all the way through)
  • 2 squash (zucchini and/or yellow squash)
  • 3 large Roma tomatoes (I only had large vine riped tomatoes so you can see I had to adjust in my pic above)
  • Sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • Dried thyme, to taste
  • 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 375.  Saute onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil until translucent, then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.    Spread the onion/garlic on the bottom of a greased round baking dish.
 
Slice the potatoes, zucchini, squash and tomatoes in 1/4 inch thick slices. Layer them alternately in the dish on top of the onions, fitting them tightly into a spiral, making only one layer. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried thyme, to taste. Drizzle the last tablespoon of olive oil over the top.

Cover the dish with a oven safe lid or tin foil  and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top and bake for another 25-30 minutes or until browned. 



No comments: