Monday, November 9, 2009

Japanese Cucumber Salad


This is the recipe I make when I'm craving that cucumber salad I get with my sushi. Yumm!! Also referenced here as a great side dish to a yummy recipe!


Japanese Cucumber Salad

2 cups thinly sliced Japanese cucumbers*
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sesame seeds

* English cucumbers may be substituted. The English cucumbers need to be peeled, cut lengthwise, seeded, and sliced into thin half moons.

In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and salt; mix well. Add sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil; mix well. Sprinkle with sesame seed and mix. Let marinate for 20 minutes before serving. NOTE: If you desire, drain off some of the vinegar mixture before serving.

To serve, divide salad among individual chilled plates.

Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Oh, thank you! That's my favorite part of going out for Sushi...the cucumber salad. I'm making it today!!!

Hilary said...

Sounds delicious!!!