Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Quinoa Pilaf

The following recipe I got from the Self November 2009 issue. I served it with the Salmon Florentine from the same issue/recipe. Nutritional facts for one 6oz fillet and 1/2 cup quinoa = 470 calories, 20g fat (only 4g saturated), 27g carbs, 6g fiber, and 48g protein.

Quinoa is one of my favorite grains and I think this was one of my favorite recipes I've made using it. I've included the changes I made in parenthasis, I think they made a [flavorful] difference!

Quinoa Pilaf
(makes ~2 cups after cooked)

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup low sodium chicken broth (I used 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup orange juice) *Use vegetable brother for vegetarian
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped (I used shallots)
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet over medium-heat heat until golden brown, 2 minutes
2 tbsp fresh parsely, chopped

Bring quinoa and broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, simmer until quinoa absorbs liquid, about 15 minutes. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, cook, stirring occasionaly until onion begins to brown (about 6 minutes). When quinoa is done, fluff with a fork, transfer to a serving bowl, and stir in onion/pine nuts/parsley. Season with salt/pepper.

No comments: