Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fresh Cranberry Relish (recipe shared from Eileen D)

This was the cranberry relish my Aunt Eileen made for our Thanksgiving meal. I fell in love! It is so refreshing and delicious! I love how most of the ingredients are fresh. She said sometimes she hardly has to put in much sugar at all depending on the sweetness/juiceness of the apples. I don't think this is a recipe that needs to be reserved for the holidays though because it does not "scream" turkey cranberry relish :)

Fresh Cranberry Relish
**Proportions are approximate and depend on the tartness of the cranberries, apples, and orange. (She says each year the proportions are a little different)

5 Cups fresh cranberries
1 whole orange (not peeled)
3 apples, cored, with peels
2 cups sugar

Pulse cranberries in bowl of food processor until desired consistency. Remove to large bowl. Do the same with the orange, add to the cranberries. Pulse the apples and add to cranberry mixture. Combine fruit thoroughly. Add sugar and stir well. Taste and adjust ingredients to your taste. Chill well.

1 comment:

Jacob & Clarissa said...

This relish is amazing, definitely one of my favorites. So is her recipe for yams, but I don't think it makes the healthy list. I think it's almost all sugar....