Sunday, December 14, 2008

Mushroom Whole Grain Casserole

I love mushrooms so when I saw this recipe I was excited to try it. This is also a GREAT and EASY way to get your whole grains in and make them taste good!! I recommend whole grains all the time to people but the truth is many people don't know how to make some of the "less common" whole grains. For this recipe you can use any whole grain and/or brown rice that you would like. I made mine with (& HIGHLY RECOMMEND) the Kashi Original Flavor Rice Pilaf. It's ready in 90 seconds and has SEVEN whole grains in it. Now tell me...are you going to prepare 7 whole grains to use in this recipe? The recipe I saw actually served 8 so I scaled the recipe down and posted the recipe I made. It was called Mushroom Casserole but I'm adding the Whole Grain into the name.

Mushroom Whole Grain Casserole

~4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
1/2 onion or 1 shallot, well chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (or 1 Tbsp)
~2 cups cooked whole grains and/or brown rice
1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg)
1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (and I used pepper too)
freshly grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheesea
bit of fresh tarragon, chopped (optional...I didn't have so I didn't use)

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute the onions and garlic in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and some sea salt until golden. Add mushrooms and stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit. Continue to stir/cook until mushrooms are softer. Add the rice to the skillet and stir until combined.
In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
Combine the rice mixture and cottage cheese mixture in a 8x8 pan. Sprinkle with the Parmesan/Romano cheese, cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes more or hot throughout and golden along the edges. Sprinkle with the chopped tarragon and enjoy.

No comments: