Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Please help me make a difference!!

Please forgive me for the non-Heathy Bite blog post but I REALLY need everyone's help!!!

Dear Friends and Family,

 

I have decided to take on a challenge that will take a lot of dedication and determination; however this is also a challenge that is dear to my heart.  I have decided to train to run/walk my first half marathon (13.1 miles) and fundraise $5,800 to find a cure and improve the quality of life for those with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.  I will run/walk in the Kona Marathon on June 28 with my sister, Valerie, and Team Challenge.  Team Challenge is a fundraising program for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA).

 

Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are known together as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).  Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are painful, medically incurable illnesses that attack the digestive system.  It is estimated that 1.4 million Americans have IBD, however many suffer in silence.  About 5 percent of people with ulcerative colitis develop colon cancer. The risk of cancer increases with the duration of the disease and how much the colon has been damaged. However, if the entire colon is involved, the risk of cancer may be as much as 32 times the normal rate.

 

I am running in honor of my dad, Alan.  My dad was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis when he was 32 years old.  I remember how scary this time was for me and my family.  My dad lived with 14 years of suffering with this disease.  We watched him during many "flare ups", weight losses, and rounds of steroids.  As I stated before, ulcerative colitis is a very painful and often embarrassing disease.  Unfortunately my dad was diagnosed with stage III colon cancer in August 2008 at the age of 46. While deeply saddened, we were not entirely shocked due to his duration of his ulcerative colitis.  He had to have his entire colon removed and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

 

CCFA has become the largest organization dedicated to curing IBD.  The Foundation invests dollars wisely, funding the highest quality IBD research anywhere in the world.  The funds raised through Team Challenge directly benefit the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America to support its mission to find a cure and to improve the quality of life of children and adults affected by these diseases.

 

I hope my effort makes a difference in fighting a disease that has affected not only my family and my dad but so many others.  This is where I need your help, I can't do this alone.  Please consider supporting me in this effort by making a tax deductable donation to CCFA.  Any amount will help me reach my goal.  You can donate online to my fundraising website at http://www.active.com/donate/kona09northtexas/kona09HDavis.  Or if you would like me to send you a donation form please let me know.  Also please forward this message along to others who might be able to help!

 

My personal fundraising deadline is April 2nd...my dad's 47th birthday!  I couldn't think of a better birthday present to give!  Please help me reach my goal by then and help me make a difference!!

 

With MUCH gratitude and appreciation,

 

Heather Davis


P.S. If you are thinking about donating and you know my sister as well, please visit both of our websites and consider splitting your donation. Thank you! Valerie's website: http://www.active.com/donate/kona09northtexas/kona09VBarber


1 comment:

Connie said...

What a worthy cause you and Val are involved in. Count me in. My thoughts and prayers are with your dad and family.