Sunday, September 28, 2008

Carrie's Beef Fajitas - Posted by Kim S.

Well, I seriously can not think of one single recipe that I make regularly that is considered "healthy" by most peoples' standards. For me it is all about portion control, and as a runner, making sure I get plenty of protein and healthy fat in my diet. I never look at fat content or calories in food. The only thing I monitor is the amount of sugar and starch in the food I eat. For example, I never buy "light" mayonnaise, because I would rather have the fat than the added sugar they put in "light" products. I also try to watch my intake of simple carbs by substituting with whole-grain varieties whenever possible. I found this recipe in Runners World Magazine this month (October 2008). It looks pretty good, and this is precisely the type of food I like to eat-lots of protein and healthy fats. If I were to make this recipe, I would load up on the "filling" and not eat a lot of the tortillas. Here's the recipe. It was submitted to Runner's World by world-class runner Carrie Tollefson.

Carrie's Beef Fajitas:

Carne Asada:
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp paprika
2 cloves garlic
2 lbs flank steak, cleaned

Fajita Fixings:
1 onion, grilled and sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 avocados, diced
2 green or red peppers, cut into strips and sauteed
16 small corn tortillas, warmed

Place all the carne asada ingredients into a zipper bag, making sure to turn the bag regularly so the marinade penetrates both sides evenly. Marinate 20 minutes per side. Place meat on heated broiler or grill and cook to medium rare. Thinly slice and serve with fajita fixings.

Serves four. Calories per serving: 710 Carbs: 62 grams Protein: 56 grams Fat: 27 grams.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I definitely think that the world "healthy" can be misleading! Just because you are eating healthy does not mean all your meals need to be low-calorie or fat free. Thanks for reminding us of this Kim! The recipe sounds delicious & as a big beef lover I can't wait to try it!