Monday, March 22, 2010

Some tips for staying strong in a healthy lifestyle!


Here are some small tips that help me when I'm trying to stay strong!

-When I go to the grocery store, besides having a grocery list (that I must stick to!) I use one of the small grocery carts (above) if possible! It fills up quicker and makes it less likely to throw in "extra" stuff

-If I'm hungry or snacky the gum trick only works so much (sorry Biggest Loser plugs for Extra). What works better for me brushing my teeth (if I'm at home) or brush-ups (if I'm not at home)!

-If I have plans to go to the gym or a workout class but not for a couple hours, I change into my workout clothes and tennis shoes immediately. If I'm in my workout clothes I'm more likely not to slack and skip the gym

-Speaking of workout clothes, I wear my workout clothes when I do my grocery shopping most of the time. Not because I'm lazy but who wants to be wearing workout clothes & buying a bunch of junk food? Not me! And it' a reminder that cheating means undoing the work in the gym.

-This tip won't work for all but since I live alone it works wonders for me. I'm the personality type where if its in my house I'll eat it. Not saying I don't allow myself to have treats but instead of having junk snacks in the house, I like to have fruits & veggies around to snack on.

-If you're trying to loose weight - write it down. Writing down EVERYTHING you eat (& be completely HONEST) has been shown to help people eat fewer calories. And when I say everything, I mean everything! Did you have just a bite of something? just a couple chips? a couple mints from the restaurant? When you're writing things down honestly, you're more apt to realize what you're mindlessly eating or feel guilty that you have to write down 4 girl scout cookies :)

-If I'm going to a restaurant I check to see if they have a website and I pick out what I'm going to order BEFORE HAND! When I do this I always pick smart choices that are on track with a healthy lifestyle. When I don't do this, I get sucked into "oh my gosh I'm soooo starving I want THAT!" I have never regretted my decision when I've picked before I went, I HAVE regretted what I've ordered when I did it when I was starving or swept away in the "eating out" experience

Just thought I'd share some of these, please share any others that help you! I'd love to get some new ideas!!

1 comment:

Elissa said...

I completely agree that if it's in the house I'll eat it- so I try to make sure I limit my bad snacks and have lots of healthy ones on hand. And I never go to the grocery hungry!