Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Zucchini "Pasta" Review

I like to try some of those different creative options out there that people like to do to decrease calories or eat healthier. Since I'm a dietitian, I get asked about these things but also I like being creative with what I cook/eat. Well last night I tried making zucchini spaghetti. For those of you unfamiliar it is where you use zucchini in place of pasta. The idea is you decrease calories/carbs, increase your veggie intake, all with still being able to enjoy "pasta". Now I wasn't trying this so much as a diet option, because I think encorporating whole grain pasta into my diet is fine. But I was just curious!

I sliced my zucchini into thin long strips, boiled them for about 2 minutes, drained them, and topped w/ my favorite pasta sauce. If you put hot sauce on top that can continue to cook the zucchini so just be aware. I topped w/ a touch of fresh shredded parmesean.

I did like the meal and thought it was flavorful but I think I would do it more as a side dish (i.e. the whole italian zucchini & tomatoes type dish). I'm not sure if I cut the strips thin enough though to even come close to pretending to be pasta but I was worried they would fall apart if I cut them too thin. I did like this dish but you have to think about it as a dish on its own, NOT a replacement for pasta. For the pasta lovers feeling guilty out there, just pick a whole grain pasta but more then that keep your portion size in check! That's really the downfall for most pasta lovers.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried zucchini "pasta" or the next product that is making me super curious to try & review: Tofu Shirataki Noodle Substitute

*Update - had the leftovers which were sooo yummy! I liked it much better than the original dish because the tomato sauce soaked into the zucchini & made it a little extra flavorful, mmm!

No comments: