Thursday, January 20, 2011

Diet changes to help acne

Question from a reader:
As a teen and even up until a few years ago I had great skin. People would say it looked like porcelain...I never had so much as a blemish growing up. But now, NOW I am break out city. It's pretty much my entire forehead and t-zone. The forehead is the worst and along my chin/neck. It's horrible. I hate it and I've tried every acne product (aside from prescription strength). I've been researching diet modifications as a way to clear up my skin...and there's so much out there...so many differing views. I've cut out soda and have started to limit dairy and increase fruits/veg (especially orange vegs). I've also increased my water intake. I'm sure a lot of it is hormonal (I'm going to get them checked at my annual), but any diet suggestions??
Answer:
Off the top of my head the number one thing I ALWAYS hear is get rid of the processed foods. I looked into it some more and you're definitely on the right path. Cut out as much sugar and refined foods as possible. Increasing your orange veggies is good because Vit A is suppose to help. Basically nutrients that are antioxidants or anti-inflammatory so Vit A, C, E, zinc, selenium, and omega 3 fatty acids. Also making sure you get your B Vitamins, esp Vit B5 (pantothenic acid). I also saw a lot of stuff that says probiotics help, so you can eat those in many products or as a supplement. So from a nutrition standpoint I would decrease as much "junk" as possible and increase the fruits & veggies as well as probably take a multivitamin just to be sure you're getting what you need. I did also see that aspartame could cause acne so I think that's a good thing to try to take out.

Another thing I found very interesting is that a soy sensitivity/allergy can cause acne. Soy (processed form) is in EVERYTHING now if you eat process foods or eat out often. Its also something that can kind of build up when you don't even realize its in the things you're eating.

Also, my friend uses coconut oil to moisturize her face! Sounds a little scary but she swears by it.

And then obviously some think the food/acne correlation is a myth but I approach things wanting to try a natural path first and think everything we put in our body is important. Plus making healthy changes won't hurt & will only help in other areas so its worth a shot!

No comments: