Monday, January 31, 2011

Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup

When I visited my family in December we ate at Zupas. I ordered the Wisconsin Cauliflower soup and fell in love! So much in love that when I got to pick were we went for a girls lunch with all the aunts & GMa (just a couple days later) I knew I had to have more soup! I also made others fall in love with this soup. So when my sister sent me the "knock-off recipe" I was excited to try it! I was also excited because this is a creamy soup so I was expecting it to be made with cream. It does have a lot of cheese in it but I used skim milk and no butter. So my soup wasn't quite the amazingness as Zupas, mostly because of the texture. I think I was too anxious to eat this soup that I didn't let my cauliflower cook long enough so my soup wasn't perfectly smooth. But if I don't compare it to Zupas it was still super delicious. Watch your portions due to the cheese but the rest is pretty great - don't use butter, cauliflower, onions, & skim milk for some healthy moves! I also used vegetable broth...that's what I had and I only eat small amounts of meat now. And vegetarians can make this soup as well.

Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Margarine Or Butter (¼ Stick)
1 medium Onion, chopped
¼ cup All-Purpose Flour
½ tsp Salt
2 cups Milk
1 can (13 ¾ to 14 ½ ounces) Chicken Broth
1 head (2 ½ pounds) Cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese
Directions:
In 4-quart saucepan, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until golden, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in milk, chicken broth, and 1 ½ cups water; add cauliflower and heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. In blender (with center part of blender cover removed to allow steam to escape), blend cauliflower mixture at low speed in small batches until very smooth. Return cauliflower mixture to saucepan; heat over medium heat until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in mustard and 1 ½ cups cheese until melted and smooth. Garnish soup with remaining cheese to serve.

No comments: