Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cajun Chicken Pasta


This is a recipe I got from Sommer...she's made it but I don't actually know if she's ever tried it since she's vegetarian! This is one of my favorites. I always double up on the vegetables and sometimes make it with the chicken, sometimes make it just with vegetables. So I tried to make a "healthier" version of it the other night. I tried to replace the heavy cream with skim milk and cornstarch. The dish came out okay and edible but I would highly recommend sticking with the full fat version and just watching your portion size. Its hard for me since I live alone, I'll make a big pot and eat on it for a few days but this might be easier for those of you cooking for more than one. Although I had never looked at the nutritional facts and now that I have...wow!! And Sommer, just make it without the chicken...its delicious! The 1st time I made it I followed the recipe and after that I have always just made it from my head. Add more or less Cajun seasoning depending on how spicy you want it. I bought a thing of Cajun seasoning just for this recipe and wondered when I was ever going to use it again. I use it when cooking veggies all the time or as a seasoning on chicken or fish!


Cajun Chicken Pasta

4 ounces linguine pasta
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, sliced into thin strips
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green onion, minced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.Meanwhile, place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl, and toss to coat.In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken in butter until no longer pink and juices run clear, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add green and red bell peppers, sliced mushrooms and green onions; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat, and stir in heavy cream. Season the sauce with basil, lemon pepper, salt, garlic powder and ground black pepper, and heat through.In a large bowl, toss linguini with sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.


Nutritional Information: Servings Per Recipe: 2 Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1114 Total Fat: 82.3g Cholesterol: 348mg Sodium: 1184mg Total Carbs: 55.2g Dietary Fiber: 4.6g Protein: 42.8g

No comments: